Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Paris Boudoir Photography




I can seldom resist the temptation to take a picture of a photogenic face, especially those of pretty girls of which the Paris streets seem to have in abundance. After the initial bonjour I explain to the would be model what I would like to do and also point out that there’s obviously no pressure or obligation. If they are agreeable to be photographed there and then, I continue with my banter so as to keep their minds off the camera and their egos. It generally takes less than five minutes and I’m away with my catch in the bag. The secret is to work fast and keep talking and eye contact, more often than not I am requested to send the photos via email which I make sure to do out of respect.

I believe the French have a verb for what I do, it’s a “flaneur”. Someone who observes and photographs. This translation is open to correction so feel free to email me @ kevinhayden62@hotmail.com with any thoughts you may have to share on my ramblings.

Meeting Bronwyn.

One recent shoot that transpired from my brazenness was with my new friend Bronwyn. I believe she has a real talent for modeling! When I first saw her I knew I had to shoot her. I previsualised how I wanted to photograph her, Bronwyn has a great classic look of the forties and fifties, so I knew straight away how I wanted it to look, a little boudoir and glamour and she had a wardrobe to suit. On my rambles around Paris I come across some interesting shoot locations, and my favourite is the hotel de Nesle in the 6eme arrondissement of Paris, on the left bank and that is where we chose to shoot. Bronwyn had embraced this commission with great enthusiasm, and arrived at our café rdv with an amazing hair and make up detail. For a new model she was very professional, arriving on time and looking exactly as I had hoped for. She had with her several costume changes and just as many shoes, she had kept her part of the bargain now it was up to me to do it all justice. The God of light was on my side and supplied a window with perfect light.

I also brought my Canon 580ex flash and an Elinchrom with a small softbox. The light being as good as it was I used a white and silver reflector for most of the shots.

I don’t use gold reflectors as it’s too yellow on the face, and I find it unnatural.

The room was small and I had to be mindful of keeping any unused props out of the way, didn’t always succeed, for this I value photoshop.

When we got into the shoot Bronwyn posed like a true pro, and I had very little input in how she sat, stood or lay on the bed, it came naturally to her, as it does most feminine beauties.

When we looked at the time we were both surprised, we’d been shooting for almost three hours, and had a great time. If you would like to have a shoot like this just send me an email @ kevinhayden62@hotmail.com also visit www.kevinhayden.book.fr for more of what I enjoy doing.

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Kevin Hayden.

Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment