Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Canon Histograms

Well it's cold December day here in Normandy, I am here for the week-end to continue my "water series" project.
It's one of those projects that never ends, just like skies, walls and all sorts that I start and sometimes never finish!
This time I'm determined to make something of these images as I really enjoyed making them, cold an all as it was.
It was a good reminder that I can never rely on the lcd screen on the back of my 5D! It really does brighten up the image, and the resulting image is not what comes out eventually as a print. This has been an expensive lesson in the past for me, and one I don't want to repeat!
So I kept a close eye on the histogram this time for every image! It's especially important when the subject your shooting is not the 18% grey that your camera thinks it is. And waves are a lot brighter than 18% grey even on a grey cold day like today.
Thus I wheeled in a stop or two of compensation for this...instead of F16 I gave it F8 or thereabouts. You also have to consider that the camera has another weakness here, and that is that it's meter is working on calculating reflected light and not the actual incident light on the subject. So I always always recommend you get to know your camera inside out so that you know instinctively and intuitively how to compensate for these limitations.


Now back to the results of today! I got too close at times to the crashing waves, and I was glad  that I brought a soft towel to wipe off the sea water from my camera. Since I got in and warmed up I've been playing around with the images a bit more than usual, and I like the split tone effect and straight black and white results.

No comments:

Post a Comment