Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Saturday, March 23, 2013

I've heard it said that, "we don't know what we don't know". It seems I know more than I think I know about photography, or at least that's what some folks tell me. I guess after 34 years I've picked up a bit about the subject, the trouble is the camera manufacturers, influential photographers and the industry in general keep moving the goal posts. More pixels, new styles and fashions and now we have to be videographers since they've gone and planted such high quality recording capabilities in our DSLRs.


I know self improvement and learning is great, but I'd rather be in a field, on a mountain, next to the sea, even being on a plane to my next destination is preferable to sitting here in the darkroom imprisoned by four walls.
So if anyone out there knows an easier softer way of learning how to edit video and then match it with photos in a slideshow please please email me. kevinhayden62@hotmail.com
To view what I do http://www.kevinhayden.book.fr

Now I've had my rant and made my plea for help I'll get back to the subject of teaching and learning.
I've been in Paris for nine years now, and since I arrived and got dumped (another story), I've devoted myself to my preferred pastime which has now become my full time profession...photography.
It has not changed for me, I still love it as a pastime, a therapy and a profession. When I am behind a camera I am both bullet proof and invisible, cocooned in my zone and searching for the zones of interest around me is where I feel best.
It's these feelings of connection with my environment that I now believe make it essential to make a great photograph. When I teach I often say the photographer must be in communion with his subject, he must have a connection with it...even love it. Be mindful and present.

 http://www.kevinhayden.book.fr


I am lucky to still have these feelings, even more than ever in fact I feel close to nature and people. And it's the great outdoors and the people in it that I enjoy most to photograph. It's these emotions that I share in my teaching and in my photography, and the students always respond positively. The evidence is almost instant in the images they produce. My next workshop is in Ireland from April 1st to the 7th. Later in the year I'm planning a workshop in Burma. After almost 3 months in Burma I've made good friends and interesting contacts who will guide us into the enchanted land of the Burmese. You may find this link useful http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/how-to-help-burma

No comments:

Post a Comment