Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The love of a dog named Paddy

Paddy the wanderer who stopped into Ballinagoth and made himself at home and not an objection was raised. Now Ballinagoth is not a major thoroughfare, it’s down in a valley and sits cosily between the river, hills and a small preserved woodland and I used to joke that even the rabbits get lost down there. So how he came to be there no one knows and no one in the area knew him so my guess is that he was abandoned. His facility to adapt to a very quiet life in the small country cottage where only my late father hid out most of the time suggests that he wasn’t ever a city slicker. It was an old cottage with a smoky open fire and only 20 yards from the river Nore, a river that was once renowned for its fine salmon which have sadly been poached out of existence by the locals greed for money today with no forethought for tomorrow. Paddy watched the fishermen come and go and never stirred unless they were accompanied by their own dogs and then Paddy spontaneously exploded into a vicious terrier tornado. He’s seen a lot of life as would be normal for any member of the Hayden family. I’m open to correction on his exact history but from what I know he’s been in the care of my mother after the death of my father and then he willingly took off on a grand adventure with my late niece Ciara, she had the wanderlust bug and a courageous curiosity that had her traveling far and wide until her sad and untimely death. And then another new chapter began for Paddy. He had been living in the mountains of Orgiva in Spain with Ciara and her daughter Lily but when Ciara became unwell she came home to Ireland. And Paddy was brought home later on in the camping car by boat from Santander to Cork. He made the voyage without a growl except when he wanted to pee or when he met another dog on the deck. He was put off his food by the anti rabies medication and I guess the long drive and boat journey didn’t help but he bounced back and today is living in Co Kilkenny with my sister Deirdre. Now that I think of it he may have lived with my other sister Maria, but I need that confirmed? We’re not certain of how old Paddy is but he’s surely more than 20 years old and like us all with age his sight is not what it used to be nor are his legs but he looks well, he eats well and has been much loved by all who came to know him. We’ve had several dogs in the family but for me Paddy is one of a kind, a kind of angel. His presence has enhanced the life of us all, his nonverbal way of communication has entertained us and his old man charms coupled with his roguish eye has seduced everyone that's been priviliged to meet him. As a photographer he's been my educator and tester and I can credit him with giving me a deeper appreciation for my profession. He's also a constant reminder of how important it is to be connected to your subject. You'll see in the images that I have more than a little affection for Paddy, there's a place in my heart for him that connects with my eyes and my soul, my chakras are equally alligned and for me that connection is essential in portraying the true personality of my subject no matter who or what it is. Connection is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment