Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Friday, December 31, 2010

Film Photography




I recently picked up my old medium format film camera, it's a Bronica ETRSi. Some would describe it as a Hasselblad copy, but it was the long held dream of Mr Zenzaburo Yoshino who first attempted to build his dream camera in the early fifties. Alas due to financial troubles he fell into bankruptcy and went back to his original business of making ladies cosmetics and novelties.
Thanks to the financial success of his cosmetics business his "dream" began life at the end of 1952 he then formed the Bronica camera Co. Ltd in 1956 when the first prototype was produced.
It's an easy camera to handle, and feels good in the hand making it a useful camera for both studio and street photography.
I use Fuji Neopan 400 film among others, and when I see the results I still think digital cannot produce the same 'character' and the difference is visible in these shots I took of my daughter and of the town of Joigny in Burgundy, France.
I was also brought back to relearning how to frame the 6 x 4.5 cm image area, my errors are obvious with too much space left in the top of the frame. It was an enjoyable trip down memory lane, and the results have inspired me to take it out more often to take pictures of my daughter Clara Louna.
I don't think I'll be brave enough to shoot weddings in Paris with it though. I'm to used to my Canon 5D MK11 and it's fabulous ISO range.

2 comments:

  1. I have used an old pentax of Eamonns for years now and those prints mean more to me and look better than any digital photo. I wish it didnt cost so much but I am still willing to pay - as you say there is a character that digital cant achieve. Relying on digital more and more though, its just too easy. Bonne annee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terence, thanks for the comment. It's true digital has taken over, and as a result we have millions of technically perfect photos, though most over saturated etc. None of them have that finesse (doux) and character that speaks to the viewer.

    Bonne année!!

    ReplyDelete