Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Thursday, March 15, 2012

To Flash or not to Flash

I've nothing to say tonight. I thought I'd start like that but then that would be the end. I'm exhausted having done almost nothing. I picked up my daughter Clara from the nanny, we cycled along the seine for a few kilometers until we found the ducks I'd promised her. We fed them and ourselves and then got fed up and came home. I'm faced with a week of domesticity, I know it's nothing. Well it's nothing to women and some men, but I'm not some of the men. Clara is sleeping now and I'm tiptoeing around and cursing myself when I drop something like the lid of a saucepan. I hold my breath and wait for the dreaded word papa. Phew I can breath again, she didn't wake up. I turned my camera onto the orchid today, armed with a macro lens and a reflector I played around none too seriously, but enjoyed the flower and it's challenges. I took out the flash and Elinchrom skyports to play around with the flash from different directions, up close and diffused. I hate them. The flash just doesn't do it for me. I say I hate flash, but that's only because I've never really got to know it. To appreciate flash and to make your pictures look as though they were taken using natural light is an art in itself, and I confess right now I can't get it! I am working on it but as is often the case I want to give up before I've begun. Do you do that?

Natural Light WINS!!!


I will persevere this time as I'm getting more and more corporate work where I have to go into offices where the light can be less than ideal. I'm in a bankers office tomorrow to do a portrait of the CEO so my flash is ready to go. Though I will use natural light if there is any.

No comments:

Post a Comment