Kevin Hayden Paris

“Love calls - everywhere and always. We're sky bound.
Are you coming?”
Rumi

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Khmer Rouge et le non violente and more...


Invitations to the cinema are too rare to refuse no matter how tired one may be! I'm nackered!
Plus it's a gentle way back into the hustle and aggression of Paris living or subsisting what ever way you look at it life's a bitch. I'm so confused these days as to whether I love or hate Paris or France period? I say that having spent a very enjoyable and peaceful week-end on the Normandy coast of the Cotentin. There really is nothing like the first fresh virgin breath you take on opening the window of a crisp almost Spring like morning. Even if it is a "soft day" as we say in Ireland. That means you're getting soaked without noticing it by the way.
Then add to this the sound of cock crow and church bells, and seagulls and croissants and more sex if I'm still dreaming, well what more could you want?
 That's just me! One of anything never fixed me.
Okay I still want more!  Almost forgot to mention the grub! The filet de beef and the lamb from the salt marches of Normandy kick the bollox of Wicklow lamb any day! And the new spuds...I'm never goin home!
I make more tangents and digressions while trying to write a blog than a bull in a  herd of hot cows. I sincerely don't do it with intention. Maybe it's the unearthly feckin hour I decide to write it at. Go and see Young Adult with Charlize!
Okay I'll retrace my thoughts. Now that's work! I'm laughing at myself. I've just realised I only need to read the beginning of this dribble to find out what I hope to write about.
Seriously.
I got invited to see a documentary, a very disturbing docu about the trial of "Douch"  the man who made the instruments of torture in S21 and who over-saw the torture for the Khmer Rouge and was directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of more than 12000 men, women and children. His defence lawyer was François Roux a very thorough and fair man, and who has also coincidentally represented José Bové the great man (for me) who has fought so much to protect us all from OGM foods and the cosy cartels like Monsanto.

http://blog.cinemadureel.org/2012/03/23/journal-du-reel-2-le-khmer-rouge-et-le-non-violent/
The film, or I should say François Roux in his defence brought up the question of civil disobedience, and also quoted Gandhi on civil disobedience. After all "Douch" as he was referred to in the docu was only obeying the laws of his superiors, and carrying out their orders. You could call it military obedience. Having now read some of Gandhi's philosophies and quotes on civil disobedience, I enjoy the thoughts of it and thought I'd share it here too. We need more of it! I'm thinking Ireland...
Civil disobedience is the assertion of a right which law should give but which it denies.
Civil disobedience presupposes willing obedience of our self-imposed rules, and without it civil disobedience would be cruel joke.
Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the State becomes lawless corrupt.
Civil disobedience means capacity for unlimited suffering without the intoxicating excitement of killing.
Disobedience to be civil has to be open and nonviolent.
Disobedience to be civil implies discipline, thought, care, attention.
Disobedience that is wholly civil should never provoke retaliation.
Non-cooperation and civil disobedience are different but branches of the same tree call Satyagraha (truth-force).
It's a documentary worth going to see!

Now all this talk of Gandhi and civil disobedience  reminded me of this book by Stéphane Hessel that has sold millions of copies around the world. I guess at 91 years of age you don't give a shite, and have no fear of reprisal from any quarter and this man in his book says it as it is, and how hoodwinked we are. 1984 here we come.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stéphane_Hessel
Indignez-vous
If you can afford this book get it, read it and pass it on.
Tonight Paris I love you!

1 comment: